"Thank Goodness I Found You!" - Ted, when he happily reunites with George in Central Africa.
Theodore "Ted" Shackleford is the deuteragonist, the second important character, he is the human who first befriended George and also acts as his primary teacher, and mentor, and the deuteragonist in all three movies and episodes. Ted acts as George's monkey parent and is an important fatherly figure to him. He's also a husband of Maggie, a father of his two children, Troy & Daphne and a stepfather of his adopted stepson, Gerald (who is his first singing partner).
He's known to be tall, intelligent kind, friendly, gentle, hard-worker, fatherly (sometimes stubborn, bossy and sassy) and very independent. He is characterized by wearing a large yellow hat. He doesn't wear his hat at home, only when going outside.
He owns a country house that has been in his family since his childhood, and also lives in a spacious, high income apartment building in the city. Ted primarily drives a yellow Volkswagen convertible car as his main transportation to the country, however, he typically walks when staying in the apartment. He also uses an open-top Hummer for off-road travels. He is an herpetologist.
Ted makes a couple of references to "going to work", however, we never discover what this pertains to. In Curious George and the Invisible Sound he has been asked to survey animals around the country house, and in The Fully Automatic Monkey Fun Hat, Dr. Wiseman has asked him to give a speech about the scientific method.
He is also the leader of a troop of the Sprouts, which George and Bill belong to. Ted's various hobbies include playing the tuba, bowling, sketching and painting pictures, marathon running/ long distance running, studying nature, hiking, jogging, camping, bike riding, sand castle building, going to the beach, gardening, reading, marathon running, board games, frog impressions, golf, bird watching, and even "worm racing".
He paints and draws in the style of the H.A. Rey drawings.
He won an award for being the first to climb and map what became known as Yellow Hat Mountain and placed seventeenth in a marathon.
Ted is of the Scottish ancestry. His Uncle Tam, lives in a castle in Scotland. Their family crest is a Dragon with the Yellow Tam.
His new partner is Mario (from Curious George and the Golden Meatballs).
No mention of his parents is made, other than an occasional reference to his mother in a couple episodes (but his parents will first-time reveal in Curious George 4: A Birthday Rescue).
His voice was portrayed by Will Ferrell (in the 2006 film), later Jeff Bennett in 2006 TV Series, Follow That Monkey and Back to the Jungle, A Birthday Rescue and the 2018 upcoming Curious George series, Curious George and the Golden Meatball (2018 film), and soon then Greg Page in Curious George 5: The Hurricane.
- He was the antagonist in the episode where he uses wood to cover jumpy's entrance to get inside his house in a cold snowy day, however his plans were foiled when George makes jumpy a house and hides it and George made more entrances to their home.
- In the movies and TV series, he has a close, platonic relationships with Maggie Dunlop and Professor Wiseman.
- He's of Scottish descent/ancestry.
- He's the deuteragonist.
- He was the first "regular guy" to walk in space.
- He will appear with engaged Maggie as a devoted father in "Curious George 4: A Birthday Rescue".
- His whimpering voice is similarly and almost sounded like Johnny from Cartoon Network classic: "Johnny Bravo" and Drix from Kids WWB T.V classic series "Ozzy and Drix".
- His childhood voice was portrayed by Tara Strong (in the episode Squirrel For A Day) and Grey Delisle in the episode Curious George and the Turbo Python 3000).
- He also appear in Family Guy.
- Here's Ted Shackleford quotes for Curious George 4: A Birthday Rescue.
- The acting of The Man with the Yellow Hat was portrayed by Daniel Moser (in 2010's Curious George Live!) and Andrew Howard (in 2017's Curious George and the Golden Meatball).